Friday, September 11, 2015

Meditation and Dummies

MEDITATION RESOURCES
(Mostly at no charge)

I've heard lots of reasons why people don't meditate, including from myself.  One biggie is:  I don't know how.  Well, this list puts that one to bed!

The following are suggested as openings.  Shout out to my Self-Compassion instructor Lesley Huff who shared many in her Self-Compassion class.  This stuff is mostly free, but it can’t hurt to support your community by purchasing upgrades or attending live events.  Take what you like and leave the rest!  Stay in touch! –Dr. Amanda Kemp

Smart Phone Apps
Insight Timer: Has guided meditations, a timer if you just want to do your own thing and even a reminder to meditate among other things.  I use the free version all the time!

Mindfulness Training App: I haven’t tried this app, but it has a lot of the leading meditation teachers.   It was also highly rated online.  Tell me what you think!


Videos
Quickie overview to Meditation (2 minutes)  I loved this straight talking funny description of meditation.  The bottom line meditation is not hard or expensive and if somebody says otherwise, they’re looking for a fight!

Laugh:  Okay, this is not a meditation tool, but it is a great way to let go and prepare for or complete your meditation.  Hey, maybe it’s great prep before you speak with your ex or a trying teen.  Not that I know anything about the aforementioned.

Hip Hop Artist JusTme Mindful Breathing and Listening:  I love being guided by an African American twenty-something who “keeps it real.” 

Inspiring Video about a group of middle school kids learning and loving mindfulness.  Features JusTme and excerpts from the mindful dance.

Samurai and the Fly:  Animated lesson in not resisting what comes up when you meditate.  Hint: What you resist persists!


Audio
Kristen Neff:  I haven’t tried Kristen’s meditations yet, but we did the Affectionate Breathing in my Mindful Self-Compassion class.  Let peace begin with me!  Try one of her guided meditations and let me know your recommendation.

Tara Brach:  I LOVE this woman’s teachings.  She doesn’t do short guided meditation as stand alones, but at the end of talks she always takes you through a meditation.



Classes/Courses
Tara Brach leads weekly classes in Bethesda, MD and weekend retreats all over.  I’m going to attend something with her this fall but not sure which yet! 

Lesley Huff is based in Lancaster, PA and leads a two Self-Compassion Workshops that meet weekly over an 8-week period.  I completed her Level I class and will do Level 2 later this month.

Thank you for reading On a Mission to Heal the Planet.  Our mission is to nurture and expand the Tribe of the Heart, individuals who stand for Oneness and Take Action to heal the world, their families, and themselves.  Stay in touch! Peace and Love, Amanda





1 comment: